How many times have you heard the following:
“I moved to a new city and the stress of moving and starting a new job caused me to develop adult acne.”
“I went away to college and my face started breaking out. I never had this issue before.”
“Every time I go on vacation, my skin <clears up>or <breaks out>.”
Of course stress can manifest itself in acne breakouts, as well as headaches, back or neck pain, weight gain or loss, etc. But if your breakouts get worse or don’t improve within a short time, it could be a very simple but overlooked culprit: different water.
All water is not created equally. Water differs greatly depending on where you live, the source of the water, what’s added to it, what’s filtered from it, the condition of the pipes from which it flows, and any contaminants that could be in. In fact, a study published in February, 2018 in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences “found tens of millions of Americans could be exposed to unsafe drinking water in any given year, consuming a wide spectrum of contaminants, including fecal coliform, lead and arsenic.” CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW THAT AFFECTS YOUR SKIN?
If your shower door, tile, or shower curtain is coated in white or rust-colored residue, and if you do not use toner, your face is covered in it too. Water is usually the last substance to come in contact with our faces before makeup. Even though you may exfoliate several times a week, if you rinse with water and do not tone after, your face is not 100% clean. Many people who think they have dry skin actually do not. Residue can build up on your skin, interfering with serums, foundation, powders, moisturizers, primers, and masks. Remove the barrier and you will see a difference in your skin and the performance of your products.
Besides removing residue from water, toner also removes residue from cleansers, shampoo and conditioner that gets on your face in the shower, it sets your skin to the proper pH, and it levels the playing field where water is concerned, no matter where you are in the world.
What Is Double-Toning And How Do I Do It?
Double-toning is just that: double-toning! It’s fast, simple, and shows such great results in a short time. Here are the steps:
- Find a toner that is a proper pH and one that works well with your skin type. Champagnesia has seven varieties of Skin pHix pH Balancers, and address most skin concerns. We love to use two different varieties when we double-tone, but of course you may use only one.
- Wash your face and dry your skin completely with a towel.
- Close your eyes and spray your face liberally with the Skin pHix of your choice. Your face should be wet.
- Massage the Skin pHix around your face for about 15 seconds, as if you’re washing it.
- With a clean, dry towel, wipe all traces of the Skin pHix from your face (this works great on all areas of your body, in fact.)
- From a distance of about 10 to 12″ from your face, spray a couple of more sprays (lightly,) then pat into skin and allow to air dry.
You are now ready for serums, moisturizers, and makeup, if you choose. In less than a week, most see dramatic improvements in their skin. It’s such a simple step, and for your face’s sake, please don’t skip it!